Monday, March 5, 2012

Trans Manual Stress



Engine work is fun! It feels good to rip a motor all apart, so when it goes back together you have confidence in it. Recently I have been working on transmissions which is new to me. Luckily the Kawasaki has the most basic transmission known to man, and with the help of a very in depth manual found on Mraxls infinite resource page, I think I got her.

Shimming the transmission is an absolute must. Excessive slop and poor alignment make for poor transmission performance. It ended up I had to shim first and third gear. First had too much slop and I was able to get it well within spec and also help with first gear engagement. Third gear also had too much slop, but on this gear I added a shim with a tooth on the inside dia. This special shim was added to prevent circlips from wearing, and helps third gear spin with the shaft, which makes third engage easier.. pretty sweet

Stay tuned for more updates as things should be moving right along this month. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment